Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sports Day!!

Apparently every school has a Sports Day, which is actually a day and a half of track and field events. The students compete against each other. There is no other schools that come to compete. So I had the pleasure of attending this event which began on a Friday at 8am (I didn't get there til 10am!). It was a cold, cloudy day but it wasn't raining so the competition was going to happen.

This was the announcers booth. The only spoke in Chinese so I really paid no attention to them.

These are pictures of the kids. These are my 8th grade boys.
These are 5th and 6th graders. I don't teach them.
These are Senior 2 boys (11th graders).
9th grade boys.
7th grade boys
This picture was taken purely for the cuteness factor. And yes they all always wear their little red jumpsuits. Too cute!
9th grade boys and girls
7th grade girls.
Senior 2.
This was hysterical. The Senior 2 boys had these drums, tambourines, and gongs that they would beat as the runners were coming by. It was funny!!
So they had the javelin toss.

The running long jump.

The standing long jump.

And they ran the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, and the 3000m.

Now for the funny story of the day. So there was all this talk about me running in the Teachers VS. Students relay but it turned out I was going to miss it because we were planning a trip to Hanzhong the next day. I made the mistake of opening my big (Tscherne) mouth about running to the Senior 2 English teacher. The next thing I know she was talking to one of our vice principals, who smiled and pointed at me. She then proceeded to flag down one of the P.E. teachers (the one I have a crush on) and tell him that I wanted to run. So, I am now being hauled down the track toward the starting line to run the 100m dash with the 7th grade girls. All the girls were moaning that they would have to race me, thinking that I might win. I took my mark, they shot the gun and we all started running. At this point I would like to remind you that I was running in khakis, loosely tied tennis shoes, it was 11am, it was cold, I had not stretched and I had NOT had my Wheaties. So I got my ass kicked my a bunch of 7th graders in a 100m dash!! It was soooooo embarrassing but everyone cheered and everyone laughed and I think I scored some brownie points with the principals so it was worth my short term embarrassment.

No comments: